Information & Advice

Where can I find information and other services?

Participating in social and cultural life

In both Wallonia and Brussels, in addition to the individual services that they can provide you (guidance, social/medical/psychological aid, etc.), many associations organize social and cultural activities that you can participate in, depending on your areas of interest: human rights organizations, women’s rights organizations, nature groups, citizens’ groups, etc. They operate locally, in your neighbourhood or municipality, or, more broadly, regionally or within the Federation. They include:

  • cultural and continuing education associations,
  • youth movements, centers and associations,
  • immigrant associations or immigrants’ rights groups.

Do not hesitate to learn more about the goals and activities of these associations, via immigrant offices or regional integration centers or directly on the Internet:

Support services for newly-arrived immigrants

These associations offer information, support and guidance for newly-arrived immigrants. They know the needs of new arrivals and can offer you practical support.


  • 1000 Brussels
  • Maison de la Solidarité
  • Place Sainte-Catherine 44A
  • Tél. : 02/279.63.80
  • Fax : 02/279.63.89
  • 1030 Schaerbeek
  • ATMOSPHÈRE AMO (Youth Aid Association)
  • Place de la Reine, 35
  • Tél./fax. : 02/218.87.88
  • GSM : 0484/953.288
  • 1050 Ixelles
  • CIRÉ (Coordination and Initiatives for Refugees and Foreigners)
  • Rue du Vivier, 80/82
  • Tél. : 02/629.77.10
  • GSM : 0484/953.288
  • 1070 Anderlecht
  • Boulevard de la Révision 36-38
  • Tél. : 02/523.82.46
  • GSM : 0473/81.61.55
  • 1080 Molenbeek-Saint-Jean
  • SAMPA (Aid for New Immigrants in Molenbeek)
  • Rue Comte de Flandre 15
  • Tél. : 02/422.06.11
  • Fax : 02/422.06.27
  • 1190 Forest
  • CONVIVIAL (Movement for the Integration of Refugees)
  • Rue du Charroi 33-35
  • Tél. : 02/503.43.46
  • Fax : 02/503.19.74
  • 1210 Saint-Josse
  • Rue de l’Alliance 20
  • Tél. : 02/218.77.87
  • Fax : 02/219.60.85
  • Dutch language service
  • BON (Brussels Office for Foreigners)
  • Rue de l’Avenir 35 – 1080 Molenbeek-Saint-Jean
  • Rue Ph. de Champagne 23 – 1000 Brussels
  • Place Colignon 4 – 1030 Schaerbeek
  • Tél. : 02/501.66.80


  • Brabant wallon
  • CRIBW(Regional Integration Center for Brabant Wallon)
  • Rue de Mons 17/1 – 1480 Tubize
  • Tél. : 02/366.05.51
  • Charleroi 
  • CRIC (Regional Integration Center for Charleroi)
  • Rue Hanoteau 23 – 6060 Gilly
  • Tél. : 071/20.98.60
  • La Louvière 
  • CeRAIC (Regional Intercultural Action Center of Central Belgium)
  • Rue Dieudonné François 43 – 7100 Trivières (La Louvière)
  • Tél. : 064/23.86.56
  • Liège
  • CRIPEL (Liège Regional Integration Center for Foreigners and Persons of Foreign Origin)
  • Place Xavier Neujean 19B – 4000 Liège
  • Tél. : 04/220.01.20
  • Mons
  • CIMB (Mons and Le Borinage Regional Integration Center)
  • Rue Grande, 56 – 7330 Saint-Ghislain
  • Tél. : 065/61.18.50
  • Namur 
  • CAI (Intercultural Action Center of Namur Province)
  • Rue Docteur Haibe 2 – 5002 Saint-Servais (Namur)
  • Tél. : 081/73.71.76
  • Verviers 
  • CRVI (Verviers Regional Integration Center for Foreigners and Persons of Foreign Origin)
  • Rue de Rome 17 – 4800 Verviers
  • Tél. : 087/35.35.20

Internet resources


There is a website about legislation and procedures concerning foreigners (residence, jobs, housing, etc.).


Another website gives you a full range of information to guide you for housing, health, jobs and other important needs:

The Citizens’ (“Citoyens”) portal on the Wallonia-Brussels Federation website will provide you with information about everyday life and about the various subjects addressed in this brochure:


Belgium’s federal website:

Brussels-Capital Region website:

Walloon Region website:


Most cities and municipalities have a website. For example:

Find out more from your municipality or your city, as well as from:


You don’t have Internet access? In Wallonia, you can go to an EPN (Espace Public Numérique or Digital Public Space)

At many municipal libraries, Internet access is free of charge.

You don’t read the language well enough to use these sites alone? You can ask a professional, a neighbour, a friend or anyone with good language skills to guide you through these sites.

Specific resources


For legal advice (immigration, divorce, dispute with your landlord, conflict with a private company, etc.), you can see a lawyer. You will find a list of lawyers and their contact details at the website:

You can also contact the Legal Aid Office (BAJ or Bureau d’aide juridique) for a free initial consultation. For legal proceedings or more in-depth advice, a lawyer may be appointed for you, if you meet certain income conditions. You will find the contact details for a BAJ near you at the website:

ADDE (Association pour le droit des étrangers or Foreigners’ Rights Association) has the mission of promoting immigrants’ rights with a view to greater social justice. It provides free legal advice by E-mail, telephone or appointment. It can also refer you to an association near you: 02/227.42.41

The Centre pour l’égalité des chances (Equal Opportunity Center) also has a legal aid service specializing in immigrants’ rights. To find a contact point near you: free-phone number 0800/12800,

Some family planning centers also offer legal consultations (family law).

It is also possible to consult a mediator [do action=”tooltips”]Discussion with a neutral outside person in order to attempt to resolve a problem or a dispute. [/do], if you would like to resolve your dispute by discussing it with an outside person. This can avoid costly legal proceedings

Most private service providers (banks, insurers, telephone companies, etc.) have a mediator.


The Centres publics d’action sociale (CPAS or Public Social Action Centers) offer aid and support if you have a physical, social, psychological or medical problem. CPAS can help you in different ways: they can rm you, support you or offer you financial aid, a food package or help in finding a job. To receive aid from CPAS, you must meet certain conditions. There is a CPAS center in each municipality.


The Centre pour l’égalité des chances et la lutte contre le racisme (Equal Rights and Anti-Racism Center) and the Institut pour l’égalité des femmes et des hommes (Gender Equality Institute) offer support for victims of discrimination. To file a complaint or find a contact point near you: toll-free 0800/12800.


If you have trouble writing, you can contact social services, legal aid or an association near you.

For more information, please contact your municipality.

If you have difficulties speaking or understanding the language of your Region, there are specialized translation and interpreting services available. The request must be made through a social structure (association, municipality, hospital, medical center, etc.). Talk about it with your contact person. This service is called SeTIS (Services de traduction et d’interprétariat en milieu social – Translation and Interpreting Services in Social Contexts).


If you are undocumented, there are specialized agencies that can advise you (about health, housing, jobs, etc.).


If you or someone you know are the victim of domestic violence, you can talk about it by calling the domestic violence hotline (free-phone number 0800 300 30). A person will be there to listen to you, advise you and guide you. In case of emergency, or to file a complaint, you can contact the police directly.